Home Top Story NIA takes over twin blasts case

NIA takes over twin blasts case

3
0

 

Following the pressure of the National Investigation Agency (NIA), the state government has finally decided to hand over the February 21 Dilsukhnagar bomb blasts case to the former in the last week of March.

It may be recalled that clash of interests between the NIA and the state police came to fore with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) stepping in to convince the state government to hand over the twin bomb blasts case to the NIA.

The NIA wrote to the state go

ernment on February 23 seeking transfer of investigation in the case completely to them.

It made the request after waiting for 48 hours expecting the state government would send a proposal to the Central government formally requesting transfer of the case to NIA, which was the normal procedure, to avoid clash of interests.

The decision was taken during a review meeting h chaired by the Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy. NIA has jurisdiction across the country and has nationwide network while the state police have limitations. However, the investigation in the blasts case need nationwide network, Home Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy told media persons after the review meeting.

“Keeping these issues in mind, the state government has decided to hand over the case to NIA,” Sabita said.

However, according to sources, Director General of Police (DGP) V Dinesh Reddy wanted to retain the case since he wanted to take credit for solving the case.

<

Sources said Dinesh Reddy had been prevailing upon the Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy to dodge the NIA request since he strongly wishes to take credit for solving the case.

Ironically, the state police bosses had been repeatedly claiming that there was perfect sync between various agencies probing the case while the truth was different, sources said.

Home Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy, DGP Dinesh Reddy, Cyberabad Police Commissioner Ch D Tirumala Rao and City Police Commisisoner Anurag Sharma had been claiming that vital clues had been found it was only a matter of time a breakthrough was achieved.

However, sources said the local police have drawn a blank in the investigation. Only the Counter Intelligence Cell of the state police and the NIA have made some progress and arrived at a conclusion that Indian Mujahideen’s Tabrez and Waqas had played a major role in the twin blasts leading to clash of interests, sources said.

In view of this development, NIA senior officials sought the intervention of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in getting complete control over the case. An official of the MHA said to have spoke to the Chief Minister to formally handover the case, sources said.

Since there was no progress in the investigations carried out by the state police and NIA wanted formal transfer of the case to it at the earliest, the government had no other option but to take the decision in favour of the NIA, sources said.

Meanwhile, the two Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives – Syed Maqbool and Imran Khan – were flown back to New Delhi amid tight security.

The NIA took the two IM operatives into custody after a Delhi court granted five day police custody on February 28. They were lodged in Tihar jail following their arrest by the Delhi police in connection with the Pune blasts last year.

The duo had been brought to Hyderabad and questioned for clues in the twin blasts that killed 16

people and left over 100 injured. They were also taken to the blast site and other areas where they had conducted recce prior to their arrest.

The NIA officials interrogated them about their reconnaissance activity in the city, those who helped them and their handlers, sources said.

Maqbool is said to have identified one of the suspect seen in the CCTV footage as Tabrez aka Asadullah Akhtar, who had planted bombs in Pune last year along with his associate Waqas aka Ahmed.

On the other hand, a joint team of NIA and Ranchi police arrested terror suspect Manzar Imam at Kanke in Ranchi district.

Imam is wanted by NIA in connection with the 2008 Ahmedabad blast case. The investigators would question him for leads in the Dilsukhnagar twin blasts case, sources said.

Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports suggested that NIA officials took three more persons into custody from Bidar for questioning in the twin blasts case.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here